In late August, we wrote about the new mini PCs from MINIX. Today we can confirm for sure the launch of one of these models. Also we find 4GB RAM, and 128GB M.2 SSD. The MINIX NGC-1 will ship with pre-installed Windows 10 64-bit software and it will also support Ubuntu.
MINIX NGC-1 technical specifications:
- CPU – Intel Celeron N3150 quad-core processor @ 1.6 GHz / 2.08 GHz (Turbo) with 2MB L2 cache
- GPU – Intel HD graphics with 12EU (4W SDP / 6W TDP)
- Memory – 4GB DDR3L
- Storage – 128 M.2 SSD
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 up to 4K @ 30 Hz, and mini DisplayPort
- Audio I/O – HDMI, 3.5mm stereo jack (microphone + headphone), and optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 with two external antennas
- USB – 3x USB 3.0 host ports on front panel
- Misc – Kensington lock
- Power Supply – 12V/3A
As you can see this fanless mini PC comes with a powerful specification. Not to be missed many as three USB 3.0 ports (nice!). Braswell and Cherry Trail processors have similar performance, but if you check the features’ comparison between Atom x7-Z8700 and Celeron N3150, you’ll find the Braswell processor has more PCIe lanes, USB 3.0 ports, and natively supports SATA 6Gb/s. In short, the N3150 1.6GHz Celeron (2.8 GHz in Turbo mode) with Intel HD graphics (12EU) is not so bad and allowed the company to take even a fanless design (without fan).
Of course the device in this specification will not be cheap. Price for MINIX NGC-1 has been reported will be around $399. On PCComponentes NGC-1 costs €399.90. Since the product will launch in about two weeks, we shall find out the exact price soon.
Update: MINIX NGC-1 pre-sales will start on February 12, 2016 for $399.90 in North America, 399.90 Euros in Europe, and 299.90 GBP in the United Kingdom.