Recently, VBox Communications announced the ATSC 3.0 Android TV Gateway. The new VBox Android TV Gateway will support ATSC 3.0 receiving and streaming up to 4K Live TV channels.
About ATSC 3.0 standard
ATSC 3.0 standard also referred to as “NextGen TV” is a major version of the ATSC standards for television broadcasting created by the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC).
The standard is designed to offer support for newer technologies, including HEVC for video channels of up to 2160p 4K resolution at 120 frames per second, wide color gamut, high dynamic range, Dolby AC-4 and MPEG-H 3D Audio, datacasting capabilities, and more robust mobile television support (…).
What is VBox Android TV Gateway?
VBox Android TV Gateway is an innovative TV router, running certified Android TV OS (Android TV features such as Google Assistant, etc.), delivering both online streaming services and up to 4K Live TV channels at home. Depending on the preferences of Digital TV, VBox Communications offers devices equipped with appropriate terrestrial (DVB-T/T2/ISDB-T/ATSC) and satellite (DVB-S) TV tuners. Besides, you can choose whether to use it as a stand-alone Gateway, recasting and recording Live TV to all connected devices (via VBox apps) or as an advanced Android TV interface box.
VBox ATSC 3.0 Android TV Gateway
In addition to the mentioned features (TV viewing and OTT streaming) available in other VBox Android TV Gateway version ATSC 3.0 will offer:
- HDMI connection for ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0 viewing
- ATSC 3.0 reception via ROUTE and DASH protocols.
- HEVC 4K & Dolby AC-4 streamed to compatible devices
- Electronic Service Guides (ESG)
- Advanced Emergency alerts,
- Captions, Interactive applications, & other ATSC 3.0 signaling
- Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections
- Multi-user recast to devices across the network
- Multi-room DVR to record, schedule, and access recordings
- Transcoding video resolution from 240P up to 4K UHD
- SDK provision to allow 3rd-party app developments
Regarding availability, Vbox ATSC 3.0 is available for testing and evaluation starting May 2021. However, you can find more in the Vbox Communications press release, and additionally on the product page.
Discussion about this post