For all fans of Kodi we have good news. Kodi team yesterday released final and stable version Kodi 16.0 Jarvis.
What appeared prominent features in Kodi 16.0 Jarvis:
- Event Logging – With this feature you always have a constantly updating list of all the most important things Kodi has done recently, along with little issues you can fix.
- Long Press – Now, if you press and hold the OK/Enter button for a few seconds, you will pull up the context menu. In the future, long press may be extended for additional functionality.
- 4:3 Non-linear Stretch – Kodi finally supports stretching 4:3 content to 16:9 in a way that doesn’t warp the content that’s occurring in the center of the screen.
- Add-on Manager Changes – These changes include the following:
- The roll-back button on add-on info panel has been replaced by Update
- The Update button now opens a list of available versions of the add-on. Should you have several repositories installed that offer different version of this add-on you can now choose which to install.
- You can now disable auto-update per add-on through the info panel individual from others.
- Music Library Improvements – Now Kodi will attempt to automatically scan the music files into the Kodi music library. For music files to be scanned correctly, they will need to be properly tagged.
- DirectX 11 upgrade – Updating Kodi to DirectX 11, which brings with it support for modern tools and modern graphics cards, while maintaining backwards compatibility with old DirectX 9 cards.
- Android Surface Rendering – This allows Kodi to display its skin at its native resolution (typically 720p), while simultaneously displaying 4K video on the same screen. Any other Android device that is not able to do “android surface rendering” has not implemented the standard Android MediaCodec API in the proper way and will need to be upgraded on the Android-side to support the new feature.
Other Important Changes in Kodi 16.0:
- Start of integration of ADSP (Audio Digital Signal Processing) handling (no add-ons shipped yet)
- Improve image resizing and caching algorithm to improve image quality of images
- Added support for the musicbrainz “ARTISTS” tag in id3v2, ape, xiph.
- Add date added to music library and use it for sorting
- Support saving skin settings as add-on data instead of in guisettings.xml
- Image resource add-ons which provides common image libraries than can be used by several skins and add-ons.
- Don’t mess with the long and short date formats defined in the language files
- Win32: Proper 24.0/60.0 Hz refresh rate in fake fullscreen mode
- Add sort method for albums “artist / year”. This will sort the albums chronological per artist.
- Moved some add-on categories to “look and feel” in add-on manager
- Series recording added for PVR
- Add a “none” option for preferred subtitles
- Properly handle wired or bluetooth headsets on Android and only use PCM output
- Fix playback of VP9 and VC1 video codecs on Android
- Use best possible icons from other Android apps while browsing these in Kodi
- Enable true 1920×1080 output on AMLogic device without up-scaling
- Add Korean, Chinese and Czech keyboards
- Add multi-touch support for Linux platform
- Improve touch-screen keymapping
- The item that you had previously chosen will now be selected in the selection list instead of just starting at the top of the list
- Decouple Kodi and system volume on Android which removes the double audio volume slider
- Karaoke support has been completely removed as it wasn’t functional
- Further improve DX11 implementation in Windows
- iOS9 support
- Various PVR fixes and improvements
- Various improvements to the music section
- Three finger touchpad mapping in iOS to make room for new tablet gestures which will be available in Alpha 4 to complement existing tablet gestures.
- Kodi now supports being compiled with Xcode 7
- The Kodi GUI now supports a new stereoscopic depth effect for users of Kodi on 3D TVs or VR headsets
- Add stereoscopic depth for Confluence skin
- Extended support for browsing movies by country and through UPnP as well as user-ratings which we be added in future versions.
You can download Kodi 16.0 Jarvis (final release) from the Official Kodi 16.0 downloads.