This year’s fair MWC 2017 revealed a lot of news. At MWC 2017 appeared many exhibitors. There were also Xiaomi company that after CES 2017 has caused a lot of noise, the Xiaomi at MWC 2017 surprised fans and visitors. Xiaomi unveiled the first own SoC called Surge S1 which also will visit in the new smartphones. Of course, when the company said A, also he had to say and B, which means that Xiaomi showed new smartphone called Xiaomi Mi 5c equipped with the new SoC Surge S1.
The Surge S1 has eight Cortex-A53 processing cores, four clocked at 2.2GHz and the other four – at a more battery-conscious 1.4GHz. More details in the Surge S1 processor specifications:
- CPU – Octa-core 64-bit chipset with 4x Cortex A53 cores @ up to 2.2GHz, 4x Cortex A53 cores @ up to 1.4GHz
- GPU – ARM Mali-T860 quad-core GPU with AFBC + ASTC image compression technology
- 32-bit high performance DSP for voice processing
- 14-bit dual ISP; enhanced image processing capabilities with Surge ISP algorithm improving camera light sensitivity by 150%, and dual noise reduction algorithm reducing noise and preserving image detail in low light
- Upgradable baseband; programmable modem, OTA upgradable
- VoLTE high quality call and video support
- Security – Chip-level security; TEE architecture, strict compliance with safety regulations
- 28nm High Performance Computing (HPC) process
Surge S1 had fallen out well in Antutu Benchmark (64,817 result) and other tests, below some screenshots. At the moment, the most famous SoCs got whips. The Surge S1 will compete mostly with the likes of the Huawei Kirin 650 (16nm, 8x A53, Mali-T830), Snapdragon 430 (28nm, 8x A53, Adreno 505), Exynos 7580 (28nm, 4x A53, Mali-T830) and the MediaTek MT6738T (28nm, 8x A53, Mali-T860).
As mentioned Xiaomi also praised in the new smartphone based on the new SoC Surge S1 called Xiaomi Mi 5c. The smartphone runs Android 7.1 with MIUI, and will start selling for 1,499 RMB ($218) on March 3, 2017 in China. The Xiaomi Mi 5c is a dual SIM (GSM and GSM) smartphone that accepts Micro-SIM and Micro-SIM. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, FM, 3G and 4G. Sensors on the phone include Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor and Gyroscope. Below specification.
Xiaomi Mi 5c specifications:
- SoC – Surge S1 octa-core 64-bit processor
- System Memory – 3GB dual channel LPDDR3
- Storage – 64GB eMMC 5.0 flash
- Display – 5.15” ultra-bright display
- Camera – 12MP camera
- Misc – Front fingerprint scanner
- Battery – 2860mAh battery for “full day battery life”; 9V/2A fast charging
- Dimensions – 144.38 x 69.68 x 7.09mm
- Weight – 132 grams