The Orange Pi 5 is an upcoming powerful credit card-sized PC powered by Rockchip RK3588S SoC. The Orange Pi 5 is another 8K Single Board Computer (SBC) with the RK3588S chipset. Before that, you could see the Firefly ROC-RK3588S-PC. The Pi 5 SBC offers similar features to the Firefly RK3588S board but supports dual-band WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0.
Orange Pi 5 RK3588S SBC Overview Features
First of all, Orange Pi 5 (from Shenzhen Xunlong) measures 100mm x 62mm (3.94 ″ x 2.44 ″) and weighs 46 grams. By the way, Firefly ROC-RK3588S-PC 90 x 60mm. The heart of the Pi 5 SBC is the same Rockchip RK3588S octa-core processor (with 4×Cortex-A76 and 4×Cortex-A55, 8nm lithography process, and frequency up to 2.4GHz). Besides, the chip is integrated with ARM Mali-G610 MP4 quad-core GPU and built-in AI accelerator NPU, it provides 6Tops computing power.
The Pi 5 also offers up to 32GB of RAM, while, unlike the Firefly board, it only offers 32GB of eMMC storage. Besides, the Pi 5 also lacks an M.2 2242 NVMe SSD slot. In addition, Orange Pi 5 offers HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 8K video outputs, up to two MIPI DSI display interfaces, three camera interfaces, Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 6, and Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity, and a few USB ports plus a GPIO header. Pi 5 8K single-board PC will initially support Android 12 and Debian 11.
Pi 5 8K Single-Board PC Specification
- CPU – Rockchip RK3588S octa-core processor with 4x Cortex-A76 cores @ up to 2.4 GHz, 4x Cortex-A55 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz
- GPU – Arm Mali-G610 MP4 GPU, 6 TOPS AI accelerator
- System Memory – 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB (TBC) LPDDR4/4x
- Storage – 32GB eMMC flash, MicroSD card slot
- Video Output
- HDMI 2.1 up to 8Kp60
- DisplayPort 1.4 up to 8Kp30 via USB-C port (DP 1.4 and USB 3.1 ports are multiplexed, instead of just using USB-C DisplayPort Alt mode as per RK3588S specs)
- 2x 4-lane MIPI DSI connector up to 4Kp60
- Camera I/F – 1x 4-lane MIPI CSI connector, 2x MIPI DCPHY connectors (4-lane DPHY v2.0) for up to 3x cameras
- ES8388 audio codec
- 3.5mm audio jack with headphone and microphone support
- Onboard MIC
- Support for HDMI 2.1 eARC
- Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port via YT8531B GbE transceiver
- Dual-band Wi-Fi 6 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2T2R, Bluetooth 5.0 with BLE support via Ampak AP6275P (PCIe module)
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gbps) Type-C port, 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Expansion – 26-pin header with up to 15x GPIO, 2x UART, 3x PWM, 2x I2C, 1x CAN, 1x PWR_ON
- Debugging – 3-pin UART header for serial console
- Misc – MaskROM and Reset buttons, Power LED, status LED
- Power Supply
- 5V/4A via DC jack
- USB Type-C port (USB PD 3.0)
- RK806-1 PMU
- Dimensions – 100 x 62 mm
- Weight – 46 grams
Availability and price
There is no information on availability and price at the moment. As CNXSoft says, the Pi 5 will likely be significantly cheaper than $219 for the ROC-RK3588S-PC with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of eMMC flash. More on the product page.