Intel launched new Atom x5 systems on a chip. Two of them, Intel Atom x5-Z8330 and x5-Z8350, are based on Cherry Trail design. The Intel Atom x5-Z8330 and x5-Z8350 have 4 CPU cores, 2 MB of level 2 cache and HD 400 graphics. They operate at 1.44 GHz and have a maximum boost frequency of 1.92 GHz. The Atoms integrate dual-channel memory controller and support DDR3L-RS 1600 memory. The HD 400 GPU has 12 execution units, runs at 200 MHz and up to 500 MHz. The Z8350 has 2 Watt Scenario Design Power.
Intel Atom X5-E8000 model is quite different from the Z83xx series line. First of all, it is based on Braswell design, which was utilized by entry-level mobile consumer processors. Furthermore, the E5-E8000 has much lower base frequency than the Z8300 and low-end Celeron N37xx products. On the other side, it is much less expensive than the Celerons.
The new Atom x5-E8000 isn’t destined for consumer PCs like tablets, notebooks, and mini desktops. It’s aimed at Internet-of-Things and other embedded applications. Congatec AG company has already unveiled a line of motherboards and single-board computers powered by the Atom x5-E8000.
The processor is based on Intel’s Braswell architecture, but with a tray price of $39, it’s cheaper than most of the Celeron and Pentium chips in the Braswell lineup.
Intel Atom X5-E8000 specifications:
- CPU – Intel Atom x5-E8000 quad core “Braswell” processor @ 1.04 GHz / 2.00 GHz (Burst) with 2MB L2 cache
- GPU – Intel HD Gen8 graphics @ 320 MHz; 5 W TDP.
- Memory – Up to 8GB onboard DDR3L with 1600 MT/s
- On-board Storage – Up to eMMC 4.5.1 onboard flash (optional), 8 MB serial SPI firmware flash
- Connectivity – PCIe to GbE controller (Intel i211)
- Board Controller – Multi Stage Watchdog, non-volatile User Data Storage, Manufacturing and Board information, Board Statistics, BIOS Setup, Data Backup, I²C bus (fast mode, 400 kHz, multi-master), Power Loss Control, embedded BIOS Features AMI Aptio® 2.X (UEFI) BIOS
- 230-pin edge connector with:
- Storage – 2x SATA3, 1x SDIO
- USB – 8x USB 2.0 or 1x USB 3.0 and 5x USB 2.0
- Expansion – 3x PCI Express 2.0
- Low speed I/O – I²C bus, LPC bus, 1x SPI
- Sound – High Definition Audio Interface
- Display – DisplaPort 1.1a up to 3840×2160 or HDMI 1.4b up to 3840×2160, LVDS up to 2x 24-bit @ 1920×1200 @ 60 Hz
- Camera – MIPI CSI2
- Fan control
- Power Management – ACPI 5 .0 compliant, Smart Battery Management
- Power Consumption – 4.5W…12W typical
- Dimensions – 70 x 70 mm (Qseven form factor)
The Congatec AG says that motherboard and single board should be able to run Windows 7, 8, and 10 as well as Windows Embedded 7 or 8 and a range of Linux-based operating systems. Congatec modules and mini-ITX board availability and pricing with the latest Atom Braswell processor have not been disclosed. You can visit Congatec products page to find out more about their latest solutions.
Source: CPU-World, Liliputing and CNXSoft
Discussion about this post