Recently, MECOOL unveiled information about its new smart audio device KA1. MECOOL KA1 is an upcoming voice-activated smart speaker with Android TV 11 and Google Assistant built-in. What’s interesting, KA1 smart speaker have successfully passed Google Assistant Readiness Test (ART).
Table of contents
[UPDATE 02/21/22] MECOOL HomePlus Available:
- HomePlus (OTT Version) for $249
- MECOOL HomePlus (DVB Version) for $249, after coupon: ANDROIDTVBOX for $224.10
[UPDATE 01/20/22] MECOOL HomePlus KA1 Android TV Smart Speaker Launched
[UPDATE 11/03/21] We have received an update from MECOOL about the KA1 smart speaker, so we are sharing it with you immediately.
Simply put, the MECOOL KA1 is a combination of a smart speaker with a 4K Android TV streaming device. The upcoming device will be powered by the well-known Amlogic S905X4 SoC Quad-core ARM Cortex-A55, and run on Google Certified Android TV 11 OS. Supports Far-Field voice and Hands-free TV control. You will learn about its specifications in the following.
About ART (Assistant Readiness Test)
ART is a suite of tests designed to certify Assistant functionality for devices that integrate the Google Assistant. To be certified as an Assistant Ready device, devices must pass the speech testing requirement. As already mentioned, MECOOL KA1 has successfully passed the tests.
Just start with “Hey Google” to quickly find the latest blockbuster movie, check the score of the big game, or control your smart home. Voice control by Google Assistant will be realized by two far-field microphones (4Ω10W).
Check also other MECOOL’s Google Android TV Certified streaming devices
MECOOL KA1 Smart Speaker Overview Features
At the top of the smart speaker, we find function buttons and LED Indicator (Google standard 4 color scene light).
KA1 Smart Speaker is to be available in several versions. In addition to the basic version (speaker + Android TV), the smart speaker is to be available in AIoT version (Smart Speaker + Android TV + AIoT), and Multi-function version (Smart Speaker + Android TV + AIoT + DVB).
The smart speaker in AIoT version will act as a smart home hub and support Zigbee 3.0, Z-Wave and IR Blaster. Additionally, it will be available in a version with built-in Digital TV tuners. Certainly, everyone will find the preferred version for themselves.
MECOOL KA1 Android TV Smart Speaker Main Features
- Far-Field voice – Build in two Linear microphone array, support Far-Field voice. Which can enhance the user’s voice, creating a fixed filter for all words and false commands.
- Hands-free TV control – Support 4K TV play, you can ask it to turn on the TV and switch to a particular channel, movie VOD /play via Far-Field voice, this makes watching TV more convenient.
- Beyond a smart speaker – By working with TV, get answer with voice plus visual to enable such as watching news.
- 24/7 Google Assistant – When the TV screen closes, it becomes a 24/7 AI Assistant, it can always listening for your queries and requests, such as play music, weather and traffic updates, etc.
- Housekeeper (smart home controller) – Control smart home devices through Far-Field voice, eg dim lights.
KA1 smart speaker details
Earlier, we wrote that the KA1 is to be powered by the S905X3 SoC. However, the information is even better. The MECOOL KA1 Smart Speaker is powered by the Amlogic S905X4 SoC. The good news is also that KA1 will therefore support 4K AV1 decoding. Besides speaker run on Android TV 11 which supports Google fatures, of course, Google Assistant and has Chromecast built-in.
Inside we find 4GB RAM (optional 2GB) and 32GB eMMC. KA1 smart speaker will support Dual Band 2T2R MIMO Wifi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 5.0, and fast ethernet. When it comes to streaming, the device will support streaming and video playback up to 4K @60fp (AV1, H.265, VP9). It will support the content (up to 4K) of popular streaming vendors such as Prime Video, HBO, Youtube. By contrast, it does not appear to be certified by Netflix. Device has also built-in 2x 5W RMS Speaker.
The KA1 Android TV Smart Speaker comes with well know G10 Google reference design voice remote. Bluetooth Voice remote has dedicated button for Google Assistant as well as buttons for quick access to other streaming content.
MECOOL KA1 Android TV Smart Speaker Speacification
- CPU – Amlogic S905X4 Quad-core ARM Cortex-A55 CPU processor @ 2.0 GHz
- GPU – ARM-G31 MP2 GPU, OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1 and OpenCL 2.0 support
- Memory – 4GB RAM DDR4
- Storage – 32GB eMMC flash
- OS – Android TV 11
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1 (up to 4K @75Hz), HDCP 2.2
- DRM – Widevine L1,Playready
- Video Codecs – AV1 up to 4K@60fps, VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K 60fps, 10-bit H.265 up to 4K 60fps, AVS2-P2 up to 4K 60fps, H.264/AVC up to 4K 30fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60, MPEG-4 ASP up to 1080p60 (ISO-14496), etc..
- Audio Output – HDMI 2.1
- Connectivity – Dual Band 2T2R MIMO 802.11ac WiFi, Fast Ethernet (Rj45) 10/100Mbps, Bluetooth 4.1
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 port
- Speaker – 2* 5W RMS Speaker
- Misc – IR receiver, LED Indicator (Google standard 4 color scene light), Mic (Built-in 2x Far-field microphone), Optional (Zigbee 3.0, Z-Wave and IR blaster)
- DVB Tuner – Input (DVB-T/T2,DVB-S/S2 Optional)
- MIC Physical switch
- Touch button to control media pause/play
- Button to increase the volume
- Touch button to decrease the volume
- Power Supply – 12V/1.5A
- Dimensions – 200x193x110mm
- Weight – n/a
There is no information about the availability and price of MECOOL KA1 at the moment. We predict around 100 -130USD. We’ll let you know when the KA1 Android TV smart speaker officially appears on MECOOL’s website.
However, the Android TV smart speaker is not a new solution, here you will find other models.