Kaiboer Q8 may look like an alarm clock radio, but it’s definitely an upcoming Android TV BOX powered by Mstar 9810 SoC with 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and an internal 2.5″ SATA bay. The company had previously launched three MSO9810 Android STBs, two of which did not support hard drives, and one with a 3.5″ SATA bay, so this new product fills the void for 2.5″ hard drives.
- SoC – Mstar MSO9180D1R Quad core ARM Cortex A9 @ 1.5GHz with a quad-core ARM Mali-450MP GPU.
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16 GB eMMC + microSD card slot + internal SATA bay for 2.5″ drives
- Video I/O – HDMI in, HDMI out (All models)
- Audio I/O – HDMI in/out, optical S/PDIF
- Video Codecs – Up to 4K. MPEG-1/2, MPEG-4, DivX, H.264, H.265 VC-1, H.263, Real Media, MVC, etc…
- Audio Formats – MPEG, WMA, WAV, APE, OGG, FLAC, ACC, Dolby Digital, DTS…
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802 b/g/n Wi-Fi
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB3.0 port
- Front panel – LED display wit 5 digits and various icons
- Misc – Power and back buttons, and D-Pad on device, with another power button on the rear panel.
- Power Supply – N/A
- Dimensions – N/A
Hard drives can simply be inserted in the slot you can see on the rear panel above. This media player is said to run Android 4.3, and the package should include an IR remote control among other accessories. Kaiboer seems fully focused on the Chinese market, and I’m not aware of any English version of their firmware for previous models, so even the hardware looks quite interesting, and it should become available on Aliexpress, most people may want to skip this product, unless the company has changed their stance about oversea markets. It might be possible to change the language to English in the settings, and I’m not 100% sure Google Play Store is pre-installed, so it might have to be manually installed.